This washing soda (sodium carbonate) refill can be used to remove stubborn stains from laundry and it is an essential component in most homemade laundry detergent.
The sodium carbonate "softens" water helping other cleaning ingredients lift dirt from the fabrics and suspend it in the wash water and allows the detergent to be absorbed into fibers properly to clean clothes.
Not to be confused with sodium bicarbonate (bicarbinate of soda).
WARNING can be dangerous in large quantities, keep out of the reach of children and pets. Wear gloves when cleaning with washing soda because it can cause skin irritation.
Dissolve in water to create a pre-soaking solution for tough stains such as grease, blood, tea, and coffee stains.
Mix a solution of 1/2 cup of washing soda to 1 gallon of warm water to:
- Remove greasy buildup from pots and pans, oven racks, and drip pans.
- Remove coffee and tea stains from ceramics and plastic storage containers.
Remove soap scum in bathrooms
- Use around the house for general cleaning of hard surfaces.
- Clean outdoor furniture and decking.
- Pour 1 cup of washing soda into the clogged drain followed by 2 or 3 cups of boiling water.
- Allow the washing soda to work for 30 minutes and then flush the drain well with plain water.
- Repeat as needed.