Skip to Main Content
- Bamboo is actually a grass, but can be as strong as steel
- Lightweight & easy to clean
- Naturally stain resistant
- Naturally anti-bacterial, so it doesn’t require pesticides or fertilizers during growth, unlike cotton
- Naturally replenishes itself by continuously sending up new shoots - does not require replanting!
- Biodegrades within 2-3 years once buried under ground.
- Made from rice husk fibre, and kept the colour of their raw material, Rice Husk is usually considered agricultural waste and burned
- About 20% (by volume) of a rice paddy harvest consists of the leftover husks
- Dishwasher safe, so you can use them again and again
- Durable enough to stand up to the toughest household
- BPA-free, melamine-free and FDA approved
- Biodegrades within 2-3 years once buried under ground
- Completely free of BPA and other toxins that can leach from plastic boxes.
- Easy to clean—most can be put in the dishwasher—and don’t develop scratches where bacteria can collect.
- Most durable
- Steel lunch boxes are meant to be used for years:
- They don’t stain, take on odours, or wear out nearly as quickly as their plastic counterparts
- Replacing flimsy plastic containers with a stainless steel box may significantly reduce the amount of waste your household produces.
- Best option to use for your child’s drink:
- easy to clean (unlike many of the plastic alternatives that harbour mould and bacteria)
- free from the harmful toxins found in plastic water bottles
- Silicone rubber a manmade product derived from natural products – silicon and rubber.
- No known health hazards of silicone.
- Environmental downsides:
- Silicone is not biodegradable, but it can be recycled easily – where facilities exist.
- The hydrocarbons used to make silicone usually come from petroleum or natural gas.
- Arguably helps reduce the amount of throw-away plastic waste otherwise created
- More hardy than plastic
- Lower chance of leaching chemicals into food when used for food storage.
- Maintain it to ensure it has a long lifespan, and do your best to recycle it once you can no longer use it.
- If you need a bag to carry your new healthy lunch containers in, organic cotton bags are the best option:
- the fabric has been grown without the use of harmful pesticides
- the cotton hasn’t been bleached
- Replacing disposable plastic sandwich bags, fabric sandwich wraps result in less exposure to plastic toxins and are much better for the environment too.